| Mar 15, 2013
In only one year of existence, STARBASE Indiana academy has educated more than 800 local students in valuable STEM-related programming.
Now, STARBASE needs our help.
On March 13, Sen. John McCain added an amendment to the FY13 Defense Appropriations Bill (H.R. 933) to defund Department of Defense STARBASE, which includes STARBASE Indiana. If passed, this amendment would immediately dismantle a nationwide education program, which has turned thousands of young students over its 20+ year history onto future STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) careers.
STARBASE Indiana is one of 76 STARBASE Academies in the United States. Located at the 122nd Fighter Wing in Fort Wayne, STARBASE Indiana proudly serves the schools and students of Northeast Indiana. STARBASE Indiana has graduated 820 students since its inception just over a year ago. The pre- and post-tests reveal an astonishing 42 PERCENT increase in STEM knowledge as a result of this program.
STARBASE Indiana is also very involved in outreach to the Fort Wayne area. Each month the staff of STARBASE Indiana provides age appropriate STEM activities to patients at the Lutheran Children's Hospital. In addition, we offer a robotics after-school program to the Fort Wayne Urban League youth.
The Chamber supports STARBASE Indiana and recognizes its contribution to engaging students in STEM-related programming. Our community benefits from more students getting interested in STEM-related careers. We encourage you to take action today by contacting your elected officials.
The STARBASE program needs your help today. We encourage you to contact your elected representatives and inform them that STARBASE Indiana should be able to continue to provide a solid STEM education to the youth of Indiana.Consider using this letter that The Chamber has posted on our web site as a template for your use (Word doc).
Please consider contacting:
- U.S. Senator Dan Coats (R), IN
- U.S. Senator Joe Donnelly (D), IN
- U.S. Representative Peter Visclosky (D), IN: 1st Congressional District
- U.S. Representative Jackie Walorski (R), IN: 2nd Congressional District
- U.S. Representative Marlin Stutzman (R), IN: 3rd Congressional District
- U.S. Representative Todd Rokita (R), IN: 4th Congressional District
- U.S. Representative Susan Brooks (R), IN: 5th Congressional District
- U.S. Representative Luke Messer (R), IN: 6th Congressional District
- U.S. Representative André Carson (D), IN: 7th Congressional District
- U.S. Representative Larry Bucshon (R), IN: 8th Congressional District
- U.S. Representative Todd Young (R), IN: 9th Congressional District
For additional information:
The Greater Fort Wayne Chamber of Commerce